Monday, January 17, 2011

SCIONS AIN'T BYGONES


For most of my young-adult existence, I had never associated any model of SCION with tremendously ferocious jams.

As a matter a fact, assuming I didn't know what they were talking about, if somebody asked me to guess what bands would be lined up to play a free Scion-sponsored event, I would have probably thought something along the lines of Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, MGMT, etc. I'm not knocking these artists necessarily, it's just easier for me to make the connection between the Scion and a young, hip, and trendy demographic.

Well, somewhere along the line, the Scion's marketing department decided to utilize some heavy metal aficionados to reach out to the American metal underground. Completely out of left field, but they are going about everything the right way, and I can't help but respect their decisions.

Back to the free concert: The third annual SCION ROCKFEST.


Headlined by two of my extreme favorites, MORBID ANGEL and OBITUARY, the blasphemy and blood-curdling growls will be in full swing. The supporting cast is also phenomenal and makes me want to slam some brews and thrash into oblivion.

At this point in time, the lineup comes as no surprise. 2010's Rock Fest featured headliners CANNIBAL CORPSE and SHRINEBUILDER as well as Baghdad's ACRASSICAUDA. 2009 hosted such talent as MASTODON, NEUROSIS, and HIGH ON FIRE.

I have no choice but to believe that all Scions KICK ASS.

Cosmo over at INVISIBLE ORANGES believes that Houston might be the next city to host one of these gracious events. I have to agree, Texas is the perfect place for this kind of free concert, but let's just hope that Houston doesn't make the cut. The city is for thugs, pricks, and evil television preachers. Dallas sucks. Austin is for hipsters.

VIVA SAN ANTONIO.

No comments:

Post a Comment